Re: [SLE] KDE Control Center problem]
  • From: Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 28 May 2001 14:37:43 +0200
Jack Reilly <aa6vn@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> In ~/.kde2/share/applnk/Settings I have these directories:
>
> FileBrowsing Information Network Personalization
> Sound WebBrowsing
> Help LookNFeel Peripherals PowerControl
> System YaST
>
> Does that list corespond to the list that should be
> appearing in the left panel of my Control Center?

I don't know. I suggest you ask kcontrol developers. You can check if
kcontrol or its children open them by

$ strace -f kcontrol 2>&1 |grep open|grep -v ENOENT|sort -u

(Note the "-f" option).

If the problem is related to your personal settings in ~/.kde2, then I
suggest that you rename this directory (to e.g. ~/.kde2.old) and
restart your KDE2 session. KDE2 will create a new one.

The problem may also be related to your upgrade. One of my KDE2
upgrades failed, KDE2 didn't start at all. I didn't investigate it
thoroughly, it just seemed to me I had downloaded a mixture of old and
new KDE2 releases from a SuSE mirror.

My experience is that, for instance, ftp.mirror.ac.uk is synchronized
with ftp.suse.com well, but ftp.sunet.se sometimes also keeps old
stuff in its directories.

It seems to me there is no mechanism preventing users from downloading
a content of an ftp mirror directory which is in the middle of its
update. I compare the content of the INDEX file on ftp.suse.com and
its mirror before I download packages from the mirror, but I'm not
sure it's sufficient.

--
Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx