Re: [SLE] Further Tales of Horror!
Tor has a point about the users. If I threw Linux at my mom I'd end up
creating a die hard windows advocate. However, in my case I was trained in
the sciences and therefore I was taught to be extremely analytical and how to
find my own sources of info. I have to admit that I debated trying Linux for
about a year because I was intimidated. Now that I have had some experience
with the OS I have become pretty comfortable with it. Also, I have learned so
much more about computing using Linux when compared to what I've learned
using M$ products. The bottom line for the users is to use what is
productive and gets you to accomplish what you need. If your just checking
email and a little word processing then either systems will do. But if your
a novice and want to install a lot of 3rd party software without having to
know about "/configure, make, make-install then Linux is not for you. I do
believe that giving the rate of development that LInux will become a viable
desktop system. But for the present I think that the focus the Linux
community is putting on high-end servers and commerce developments is the
right route to go.

On a more genuflex side of things I am extremely happy with the SuSE because
A) from my limited experience it has been both stable and usable, and B) the
Linux mailing list is the most useful resource I have found to date. Even
the MadLUG (Madison users grp) that's run by the IT/Comp sci department at
the University of Wisconsin-Madison hasn't been as helpful as this mailing
list.

Just a thought or two. Curtis :)