[SERVER] Apache + SSL failing to start: Private key not found
  • From: wilson@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jonathan Wilson)
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 17:05:52 -0500
Hey, I have an SSL site that's working perfectly on RedHat 6.2 that I'm trying to move to SuSE 7.1 but I'm having trouble. Apache works like a charm as long as none of hte SSL sites are enabled, but as soon as I uncomment one, it gives the following error:

Server csc008.claborn.net:443 (RSA)
Apache:mod_ssl:Error: Private key not found.
**Stopped

Which I don't understand because it really is there:

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.125:443>

DocumentRoot /home/webhome/equationresearch
SSLEngine on
SSLCertificateFile /home/webhome/equationresearch/server.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /home/webhome/equationresearch/server.key
#SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth +ExportCertData +CompatEnvVars +StrictRequire
<Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml)$">
SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Files>
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
#
# Per-Server Logging:
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/equationresearch-ssl_request_log \
"%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"

</VirtualHost>

Is it because server.key was generated on the RedHat box? Am I going to have to have the SSL certs remade? Also, Why doesn't SuSE use the .csr files? When I followed VeriSign's directions for making Apache SSL certs, they had me first make a server.key, then an server.csr, then they make me the server.key. But neither SuSE nor RedHat ask for the server.csr

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com