Re: [SLE] libs and tarballs
  • From: John D Lamb <J.D.Lamb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 20:57:41 +0100
There is no guaranteed way but the following usually works.

Untar the package and look in the new directory. If there is a README
file, it may tell you to have particular packages installed. If there is
a docs subdirectory, look for information there. Otherwise, look for
files with names like BUILD, INSTALL, build.html

If all that fails but there is an executable called configure type
#./configure
or
#./configure >& logfile
if you want to capture the output.
Don't ignore the output. If configure fails entirely, look at the last
few messages. Do any tell you a library is missing or the wrong version?
If there are warning messages, probably the package will compile but you
may not get all features.

If there is a library missing, check whether it comes with SuSE. Run
YaST and search for packages with the library name. For example, if you
are missing libjpeg, search on jpeg and look for rpms containing
*jpeg*.so.* and read the notes on the package.

If that doesn't work or the package is not up to date, check for updates
from SuSE, then try somewhere like http://sourceforge.net or
http://www.mirror.ac.uk (It may be safer to install the new library from
a tarball than (say) from a RedHat rpm).

When the library is installed repeat the ./configure until it works.
Then run make and check for error messages again.

JDL