Re: [SLE] Shellwonders
  • From: jennifer moter <jmoter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 01:21:45 -0700

>Two thing I wondered but never dared to ask :
>1. How come there are different histories for each terminal you work on and
>wheer are they kept ?

The first is ~/.bash_history , but I wish I knew where the secondary ones are.

>2. Who knows a concise write up on the exact files that are sourced when a
>login occurs and what sequence ?

.bashrc for bash, .cshrc for csh (and maybe tcsh?) and sometimes others like .profile .aliases and some X settings come from .xinitrc and .Xresources

O'Reilly's _Unix Power Tools_ is a great resource on all things shell.
indispensible as a resource or as a tutorial for cover to cover reading.

Check it out.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/upt2/

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator