wvdial anomaly
  • From: Cory Steers <cory.steers.gmu9@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:20:00 -0500
I've been trying to set up wvdial, and am having some problems.
When I dial my ISP, it's prompt for username is "Host:", instead of
something like "Username:". By default, this causes wvdial to say something
like "Hmm ... sending ppp". If I'm reading the documentation correctly,
this means it can't figure out what the prompt is so it's sending it's
"Default Reply" value which defaults to ppp. There are Login and Login
Prompt values that, according to the docs, should allow me to override this,
but I can't seem to get it to work. I tried setting "Login = username" and
"Login Prompt = x", where "x" has been Host, Host:, "Host:", and "Host\:",
but each time I got the "Hmm ... sending ppp" message. I finally set
"Default Reply = username" and it worked, but I had a couple of questions.

1. What's the difference between "Username = " and "Login = " in the
wvdial.conf file
2. Is the "Login = " and "Login Prompt = " setting in wvdial.conf supposed
to get me around the strange "Host:" prompt that my ISP is giving me? If
so, what am I doing wrong?

thanks,

< Previous Next >