Re: [SLE] Linux on dual Intel Xenon systems
On Thursday 24 May 2001 11:44 am, Rafael E. Herrera wrote:
> I have not heard good things about the P4s. I read reports in
> http://www.tomshardware.com, they have to write several and seems they
> had a hard time finding anything good to say about it.
>
> Current systems ship with the infamous Rambus memories, too. I would
> make a decission based on what you will use it for and if the software
> you will be running in it works well with P4s.
>
> Rafael

I went Athlon Thunderbird with 1.33Ghz... I have absolutely nothing bad to
say about it. It has worked flawlessly for the last 3 or 4 weeks that I've
had it, and I've had no "weirdness" at all. Unlike my dual PII/450 based
system, that is... I had nothing but troubles with that one.

Just to give you an idea of the speed increase, my dual PII/450 system with
512MB of RAM would take 15 minutes to compile the linux kernel + modules.

My new system Athlon/1.33Ghz + 512MB of RAM takes just over 4 minutes. The
speed increase is astounding!

Have a great day, and save yourself some money -- go Athlon! :-)

-Steven

< Previous Next >