Where's SuSEfirewall?
  • From: "Stan Koper" <skoper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 07:08:58 -0400
I'm running SuSE 7.0 with kernel 2.2.19, and as with previous SuSE and
kernel
versions, I get a series of messages on boot-up, the last bunch of which
report
various tasks completed. The word "done" shows for each of them at the
right
of my screen, and if they don't work, I get a "failed" message for each such
process at the end.

As part of that process, I get an IP address from my provider (I'm on a
cable
modem, and run either dhcpclient or dhcpcd, depending), and I set up
a firewall. The line for FW_START (or is it START_FW?) is set to yes.

Up until recently, I would get two messages, one would tell me that the
system was setting up preliminary firewall stuff, and then near the end of
the boot process, I would get another message telling me something about
a final run-through or such, and the firewall would be set.

That's all gone. I have to either log on and run SuSEfirewall manually, or
do what I'm doing right now, which is running it in boot.local.

Can someone tell me which script runs SuSEfirewall ordinarily, and in
which script the line running it is supposed to go? I did run the "new"
SuSEfirewall rpm package (4.3 or something), and I'm wondering if
that was what changed things (although it didn't replace my 2.6
firewall config file).

TIA,

Stan Koper