Re: [SLE] SuSE 6.4 on a laptop.
  • From: Juergen Braukmann <juergen.braukmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:29:51 +0200
Jason Corcoran wrote:

[...]
> But I like SuSE and have being using it for a while now.
>
> A work colleague recommended setting up a frame buffer video device. Firstly
> Is there any merit to this suggestion? also how would I do this?

The frame buffer device will cause the CPU to do the work of the
graphics chip. It is sort of "last ressort" if i.e. your card is not
supported. It will slow down things.
There are "official" VESA graphics modes describing resolution and color
deps (read describing a range of memory for the display) the CPU will
handle via the drivers.
You probably need to set the vesa mode with "vga=number (i.e. vga=721)"
to set the video mode from bootup.

There is some description in the SuSE manuals. I am reffering to the
update books from SuSE 7.0 that mentioned setting up a framebuffer
device.

Juergen

--
Juergen Braukmann juergen.braukmann@xxxxxx| -o)/ / (_)__ __ ____ __