x behavier--- suse 7.1 gateway solo laptop
  • From: "S. Smith" <butch@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:14:55 -0700
I have installed SuSe 7.1 on my new gateway solo laptop. Everything has gone
flawlessly except for one item. I prefer ASCII login over GUI, so at each
boot, I am given a normal console login prompt, with no problem alt-F(x) to
other consoles. However once I start X I cannot completely kill the x-server
(X-free v 4) either by [ctl]-[alt]-Fx to get to a console or K-logout or
[ctrl]-[alt]-backspace. They all give me a dangerous -looking black screen
that slowly brightens-up to a burnt-out appearance. No prompt, just black,
some speckles--- and brightening .

I can type reboot,( without seeing what I am typing) the system shuts down,
then reboots to a normal ASCII console..... until I startx again.... X runs
fine. KWM is the windowmanager, kde2.1.1 is what I am running.

Thanks for any insight.
stephen

  • No further messages