Re: [SLE] Re: Which nic is which?
  • From: Matthew <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 01:13:46 -0700
Are they identical cards? If not you can easily assign them different IP's and modules.

Lets say one card is alias eth0 tulip

the other alias eth1 eepro100

You can easily switch them.

Jim Osborn wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Stuart.

After tearing the nics out and examining them, I reinstalled
just the old nic, trying to get back to where I was.

The numbers from ifconfig eth0 are:
HWaddr 00:00:21:D1:B7:71

And from a label on the non-component side of the nic:
C9J072470
On the component side I found, spread around here and there:
9935
S028-A1
#2933122AZZZC

Any suggestions translating that HWaddr to any of those
numbers on the card? I get 567,392,113 decimal for that hex addr;
which doesn't look anything like any of those things printed on the card.
Reversing the byte order makes things no less bizarre.

The new nic had less numbering. The component side tag said:
E14189320
and stamped directly on the board:
Y8133

And on the component side I found:
3697
K0236016 V1.1
FCC ID: FSUG6016

There must be a secret decoder ring that translates some of that
to the HWaddr, but I don't seem to have it... Since ifconfig is
somehow able to poll the card for its HWaddr, there must be a
way to query the thing. I guess I can stick the nics in the
machine one at a time, boot up, look at ifconfig, write it down.
but you'd think there'd be a more elegant way.

If anyone has a hint, I'd love to hear it.

TIA,

Jim

From: "Stuart Powell" <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
You mentioned the 6byte code in your post. That code is the MAC address you
may have heard talk of. This code is unique to each card, and is in HEX
format. I have a 3COM 3C900B here with a HW address of 00-50-DA-BA-EC-A6.
The first three numbers are a manufacturer's code. Many manufacturers have
more than one code. The last three numbers make the card unique.

This number is printed prominently on the card itself. Write down the
numbers you see on screen, then whip out the cards and look for those
numbers. Then put the cards back into the machine, keeping an eye on which
card is in which slot. This way, you'll know which cable goes where once
you configure your interfaces.