Which nic is which?
  • From: Jim Osborn <jimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 19:35:22 -0700 (PDT)
I'm installing a second nic in one of my boxes. They're both
NE2000, pnp. I assume I'll want to give them explicit addrs
and irqs in /etc/modules.conf as well as saying eth0 and eth1
in there somewhere. (So far, I can't seem to get the one that
had been doing the networking to communicate; if I have to,
I guess I'll have to yank out the new one until I learn a bit
more. Maybe isapnp.conf is going to help, once I figure it out...)

My question is: since the addresses on the ISA bus aren't dependant
on which slot is which, how do I get the right wire in the
right card? I need to know which physical card is eth0, so
I can put the wire to machine B into it, etc. Just associating
a base addr with eth0 won't do the job, I'm pretty sure,
but there must be some way of doing it. I haven't seen any
discussion of this issue in any of the howtos I've read.

Pnpdump shows a 9-byte "serial identifier" for each card. Ifconfig
shows a 6-byte "HWaddr" for eth0, which has no relationship to either
of the serial identifiers as far as I can tell.

What's the trick?

TIA,

Jim