Re: [SLE] kernel patching HOWTO
  • From: Stefano Papini <stefano.papini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:38:38 +0100
Thanks to Charles and Mark again,
so the recipe to apply first kernel patch (let's call it patch-ac1.gz)
was:

- cd /usr/src
- cd linux, where linux is the usual old symbolic link to linux-2.4.4
source tree
- zcat ../patch-blahblah.gz | patch -p1

And everything went ok, for first patch.

Then, happy as a child, I decided to apply patch-ac2.gz (and thought of
going on until the latest available), but... surprise!!!

The patch stops, and ask me with a sybillin: "assume -R" ?????

I thought that patches had to be applied subsequently, is this right?
Or it's ok to apply the only latest patch available (which seems a bit
"strange", as I should first replace an already patched kernel with a
brand vanilla one)?

I guess it's not a pb. of patch coherence as the patches come from the
same source (ac patches).
Thanks again

Ste

Mark Hounschell wrote:

> Stefano Papini wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > let's assume I'm absolute idiot:
> >
> > Last night I dwnloaded all the 2.4.4 ac patches in .gz format and tried
> > to apply them, after reading the Kernel howto and a recent thread.
> > So these are the steps followed:
> >
> > - cd /usr/src
> > - There I put a link to linux-2.4.4 (with usual "ln -s linux-2.4.4
> > linux)
> > then I used the magic formula (magic because my knowledge of patch is
> > not adequate...)
> > - bzcat patch-blahblah.gz | patch -p0 (going by memory...)
> >
> > Well the command stops immediately asking me on which file to apply the
> > patch... - sorry????
> >
> > Of course I missed some point (that's why the first assumption), but I
> > think that the Kernel HOWTO is not so precise...
> > Any help?
>
> Either go ahead and cd into the linux directory or use -p1 instead of
> -p0.
>
> --
> Mark Hounschell
> dmarkh@xxxxxxxxxx