Zip 250 Problem
  • From: "David C. Johanson" <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 21:10:07 -0400
O.K., tried setting up the zip drive and though all was well until it
wouldn't mount.

fatab entry looks like

/dev/hdc4 /zip /vfat user, exec, dev, suid, rw, noauto 0 0

did a "ls -l /dev/hdc4" which returned

"brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 4 Jan 19 03:36 /dev/hdc4"

^^^^^^^^^^^ this was light yellow in color

then I did a "ln -s hdc4 Zip 250" and then created a desktop icon for
it

right clicking on the icon and selecting mount gives the following

in xconsole:
"linux kernel: fatfs: bogus cluster size
linux kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid MSDOS file system on dev 16:04"

and a KDE error:
"Error KDesktop
Could not mount device
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc4, or too
many mounted file systems"

The zip drive works fine under windoze and I have not formatted it in
any way; its just as it came out of the plastic.

I'm sure my error is obvious to some, but I don't recognize it. How do I
go about correcting what is wrong?

Thanks,

dave