Re: [SLE] /tmp getting very big
  • From: "Alan Lenton" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 06:12:26 +0100
Actually, that's not the case. This is what the file system standard says:

+++++++++++++++++++

Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
3.11 /tmp : Temporary files
The /tmp directory shall be made available for programs that require
temporary files.

Although data stored in /tmp may be deleted in a site-specific manner, it
is recommended that files and directories located in /tmp be deleted
whenever the system is booted.

Programs shall not assume that any files or directories in /tmp are
preserved between invocations of the program.

START RATIONALE
IEEE standard P1003.2 (POSIX, part 2) makes requirements that are similar
to the above section.
FHS added the recommendation that /tmp be cleaned at boot time on the basis
of historical precedent and common practice, but did not make it a
requirement because system administration is not within the scope of this
standard.

END RATIONALE

As you can see tmp files that belong to running programs should not be
wiped, even if they've been closed by the program - it migh want to reopen
the file and reuse the contents...

Alan

PS: the whole standard is at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ if you are
interested :)