Re: [SLE] Memory Leaks
  • From: Tara L Andrews <tla@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 02:01:50 -0400
On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:23:47AM -0500, Timothy R.Butler wrote:

> I think it might be something to do with Gnome's Medusa (I have a failed
> Gnome 1.4 install from a few weeks back) thingy, if that's possible. I
> noticed Medusa is setup to run via cron several times a day, and if I
> understand right, it would be accessing the hard drive.
> Also, pecularly, "find" startup a few minutes ago, and just started
> searching for who knows what, eating between 6-14% of my CPU resources until
> I killed it.

"pstree" will show you a formatted list of the processes and their
parents, so you can see what program is running find.

"ps auxwww | grep find" will give you the entire find command line,
how long it's been running, how big it is in memory, and the
percentage of memory and CPU that it's taking up.

For memory leaks, "ps auxwww | less" is your friend. Look for things
taking up large amounts of memory that have been running for a while.

-tara