Re: [SLE] Linux Commercial Idea as a flop.
  • From: Yuri K <koroby398@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 22:32:05 -0700 (PDT)
--- Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> my desktop soon. Also, the most elegant desktop every created in my
> humble (yeah right ;) opinion was NeXT..it was awesome and Apple
> would
> have done well to just update that and make it OSX. It was 10X the
> desktop that OSX 9.X and below were..or any Windows OS. It was a
> pleasure to use..and I did so on my P5-100 for about 2.5
> years...which
> was dualbooted with OS/2..another very nice desktop that shouldn't
> have
> died.

Ben, there was no argument about elegance. There was an argument for
functionality and readily available killer apps beyond web/mail
servering realm. It's very hard to argue anything when you talk to a
bunch of infantile adults who deviate from the topic. I don't mind
elegance regardless of platform, in fact not only GUI. Even CUI can
be done ugly or elegant. That's where elegant and
efficient/functional/optimal meet. Since majority is visual and
tactile-kinesthaetic GUI approach is the way to go. This is one of
the reasons why speech recognition alone is not going to
revolutionise usability of binary processing gadgets. I am glad as
well as you are that Linux has such a following and advocacy
movement. It's like established and alternative medicine: they fight,
learn to co-exist, merge at some point then fight again and so on...
Dark Side will have to learn some new surviving skills, and who knows
, may be they will stop twisting and diluting standards and pay
attention to RFCs at some point?
Dream on... :)

As for Reiser FS, talk to Oyracle people: they lost a lot of data on
RFS. Try XFS, it's sweet. My point was: instead of bringing in the
Russian Death Squad to waste resources on RFS, they could finally
get a nice and finally functional e-mail program. if you want to win
this war, drop this snobbish MUA/MTA lingo - it doesn't help to bring
attractive and elegant ladies into Open Source. it's called e-mail
program for a normal person. it was an average person who made
automobile ubiquitous, not Herren Daimler und Benz or Mr Ford and
Dodge brothers.

And what is RMS? ... just kidding...Again: stuffing the box with
outdated and non-functional software and not making money doing so is
lower than to be called Microsoft.