Re: [SLE] Memory Leaks
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 17:31:48 -0700
* Donald E. Stidwell (stidwell@xxxxxxxx) [010513 17:15]:
->On Sunday 13 May 2001 16:13, Gary A. Garibaldi wrote:
->> Has anyone noticed a memory leak in Kernel 2.4.2. Just upgraded to 256megs
->> and still using the swap file. I didn't think that would happen unless I
->> ran a bunch of programs at the same time.
->
->I've noticed this on all kernels I've used with any Linux distro. I have 256
->megs on my main box as well and it seems that some swap is _always_ used. I
->believe this is normal behaviour because of the Linux memory model (someone
->else is welcome to correct/expand on this - my knowledge of this area is
->pretty sketchy). However, use of swap seems to be minimal if you have
->sufficient RAM.

My box has 384M of ram and I always have tons of stuff running. I never
see anymore then a 1/2 meg used unless something goes wanky like Mozilla
an starts to suck the life out of the machine. If you have 256M then you
shouldn't see a lot of swap use. BTW..I am using the 2.4.2 kernel that
Hubert Mantel put out. It seems to work fine. I have a 32 day uptime
with nothing weird that I can speak of happening.

--
Ben Rosenberg
mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx