Re: [SLE] Got .iso images... now what?
  • From: "Purple Shirt" <purpleshirt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:59:35
mount -o loop -t iso9660 image.iso /mnt/cdrom/

From: Peter D Bethke <pdbethke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SLE] Got .iso images... now what?
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 14:42:25 -0400

Hello all,

Following a thread read recently, I found the Japanese 7.1 Pro images and
have dl'd them. I have a CD Burner of my Mac, though I am unsure if they
will properly burn the .iso files. Is there a utility that will allow me to
mount the .iso files locally on the existing (bought and paid for) 7.0 Pro
system and perform a 7.1 upgrade?

Also, never received a reply on my previous question re: upgrade via ftp
from 7.0 to 7.1. I'm just trying to find a way to upgrade to 7.1 without
having to purchase new CD's - I just bought 7.0 in a bookstore that didn't
have 7.1 yet.

Here was my previous question:

> I have a version 7.0 installed - no GUI front end, I use it primarily as a
> server and find using a command-line only environment challenging as I learn
> for about Linux.
>
> I installed with the 7.0 Pro CD's but now would like to see if I can upgrade
> to 7.1 using my net connection only. I have a cable modem - I know it will
> take a while but funds are tight and I'd like to avoid getting the 7.1 Pro
> CD's right after I bought the 7.0 Pro CD's.
>
> Is it feasible to upgrade as if I had the 7.1 CD's from a strictly net
> connection? I've tried to figure this out using both YAST and YAST2 from the
> boot CD but it never seems to work out quite right.
>
> Is there a tutorial or some good advice from the standpoint of "installed on
> CD, now want to install/upgrade using FTP"? Perhaps I'm not seeing the
> proper part of the manual.

If no one's too busy debating European totalitarianism, I'm a newbie who
could really use some help here. :)

- Peter