Re: [SLE] Linux Commercial Idea
The difference between the US. and the Eastern Block is one over ridding
fact. In the US the vast majority of people own firearms. If you don't
think that the government takes that into account - Think Again! It's
fundimental to the preamble and constitution. The right to a Free Press and
the right to Bear Arms. In otherwords, the public can "rat" out the
institutions and if neccessary defend (en mass) themselves from unlawful
government activity. It would have to come down to something really bad for
this to come to pass - but the government understands that the "citizens are
armed" (some to the teeth). Your comment about the Stasi, CIA, KGB being the
same is essentially true. But the difference is that In America the people
have vidoe cameras and a press to give them to (can you say Rodney King) and
guns to shoot if needed. the CIA, FBI, and the Press all know this.
Americans don't really trust their government or the corporations and always
keep an eye open (if only half heartedly). Yes, most Americans labor on the
false belief that if it aint American it's inferior - hence the "ugly
American". But the younger generations are becoming more worldly and
tolerant. Oh, and your right about if the Eastern block would have won the
cold war - History and the Press are written to the victors (and often have
very little to do with truth and fact). But, let me ask you this? How many
Americans do you know that are paying their life savings to get themselves
pack at 50 to a 100 people into a shipping container to be loaded on a tanker
to get over to Russia, East Germany, China, and various South American
countries at the risk of dieing during the journey? Not many (if any).