Re: [SLE] Linux Commercial Idea as a flop.
As a newbie/Linux novice I can agree with the point about not wanting to deal
with "broken apps and half baked stuff". I already have a degree in health
care and really don't relish returning to school to learn how to setup and
run my OS.
I chose Linux because a) It gets me away from M$ (don't get me started on
XP/.NET/Hailstorm) and b) because I learn something about the thing I spend
most of my time with-the computer. Sure, I would like to learn programming.
But I don't want to do so to make it my profession.
It's just like medicine. You teach your patient about health care and taking
care of themselves. However, you don't expect then to mix there own IV
solutions or run their own X-ray machine. It's similar with designing an OS
that is to be used by the general public.
Open Source is wonderful because the makers can design a system to meet their
desires. But, if you want the general public to get behind it and support/use
it you'll have to make function on their level. Linux is getting close to
this and still gets its geek underpinnigs (geek is not to be taken as
derogatory).
It will become widely accepted when the common user doesn't have to consider
taking night classes in comp sci in order to set up a firewall.