Re: [SLE] Linux Commercial Idea as a flop.
  • From: Jonathan Drews <j.e.drews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 02:28:31 -0500
Hi Yuri:

On Sun, 13 May 2001, you wrote:

> I use MacSSH to manage my OpenBSD firewall only because I don't want
> to leave my quality desktop for that ugly beta stuff., besides, there
> is no such thing as quality e-mail client on any linux/unix.
> The Bat!, Callypso on NT, Eudora and YA/MT Newswatcher on a Mac. When
> 30 year old Unix will get anything at least distantly comparable,
> i'll look at it as a desktop. To call KMail a client even more so - a
> quality client is a propaganda stretch.

You make some very valuable points here. Too many folks react to
criticism as though it were flame bait.

> Linux commercially will succeed only if
> a class of self-propagating service professionals is created, like
> those MSFT drones who don't know how to use text in e-mail yet have
> MCSE after their names. And it's not possible without real Sugar
> Daddy like IBM or HP. The latter just announced that they pick
> Debian. btw. Smart move. Grass roots alone are not enough.

There is some truth to that. However I would not be too sanguine about
SuSE's prospects. Nor the ability of KDE or GNOME to galvanize a
competitive desktop. I would not be too harsh on Kmail. The chief
problem is that software is appraised by computer profesionals. When
actually most desktop users want speed, stability and simplicity. IMAP
is for computer professionals; your average secretary, or office worker,
thinks a port is a place where ships dock. There is an unfortunate
tendency to over do things in software. You need to look at computers
from the vantage point of a shipping dock worker on Friday. It's a hot
day, he doesn't want to do overtime. He wants to enter his bills of
lading into the computer, get a beer and go home to his family. If Linux
expidites that kind of drudgery, then it is a success. After all that
is the real purpose of getting GUI's in UNIX. To allow the unwashed
masses to enjoy the benefits of multitasking and stabiity.

>I need
> to grab a thing , drag it, drop and flip it over ... and be done with
> it. I don't have time for dissertations in man format on how to do
> simple things.

Preach it brother.

> but if SuSE is packing tons of non-functional shovelware like
> RealPlayer 5, Lilo circa XX century and waistes resources on ReiserFS
> just to have something made in non-Amerika that's their problem.

Happily, Real Player is gone. However you make a *really* valid point
about the inclusion of decrepit software. Most newbies just won't put up
with it. Broken apps and half baked stuff are a form of negative
advertising. I would not be too quick to shoot down Reiser. It does
indeed speed up the computers operation. I have used it in Mandrake,
but not in SuSE.

> I am
> not going to give them any money. the manual is nice though. may be
> they should become involved with publishing business instead? Nobody
> in the industry made ANY money on customer service, nobody even MSFT
> itself.

This is very true.

Cheers,

Jonathan