Re: [SLE] Free Beer vs. Free Speech [was] 7.1 ISO
  • From: "Konstantin (Kastus) Shchuka" <kastus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 19:11:43 -0700
On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 08:23:18PM -0500, NOC wrote:
> Ben,
>
> I think you and I have been through this before, and you still fall back on
> that "free beer" crutch. If people would read WHAT I WROTE, there is little
> room for mis-understanding. But in the interest of fair argument, I will
> repeat myself (again). I was able to recommend SuSE to customers by showing
> them an install ON THEIR ACTUAL hardware, which, more often than not, is not
> standard (aka the live eval DONT WORK). Now that SuSE is not going to offer
> the eval, I cannot do as such without it coming out of MY OWN POCKET (I
> re-iterate, these are not my systems, but potential customers). I really
> wish people (you Ben) would understand that not all people use the eval
> versions are just looking for FREE BEER. Do we all understand now?

Do you mean you personally don't have SuSE Linux? Please point me to the
place in SuSE license which prohibits software installation on more
than one computer.

Please explain what prohibits you yourself to own a SuSE box? Just buy
(download) one and install in demonstration purposes to as many
customers as you have. If your customer is satisfied, they can buy
support (or box with CDs and manuals) from SuSE.

If you didn't install SuSE for yourself how can you install it for others?

I don't think you act to the principle "Can't do it yourself -
go teach others to do it"

> I do not have the luxury of IBM's deep pockets. My bottom line comes real
> close to my billfold. Or does everyone (you Ben) work for someone else? I
> happen to be a freelance consultant, which means, I have to finance
> EVERYTHING MYSELF. Why would I buy a piece of software that wont work for a
> customer? That means I take it as a loss MYSELF (my family, my kid, you get
> the picture?). Now, drop the "free beer" thing, its old. Unsaddle the
> "High Moral Horse" that you seem to be riding and join the rest of us in the
> trenches.

Nobody urges you to buy a SuSE box for every your customer. Just buy one
and use it in demo purposes. If you don't want to buy, download the stuff,
burn it on CDs and show your customers. The many times you can.

> When was the last time you bought a car without driving it YOURSELF? Using
> the live-eval (IN MY SITUATION) is like having someone test drive a car for
> me by proxy. Dont make much sense, do it?

You are comparing apples to oranges. Software cannot be compared to hardware.
You can launch the same program on as many computers as you like at the same
time. You can't do that to the cars.

-Kastus