RE: [SLE] Free Beer vs. Free Speech [was] 7.1 ISO
  • From: "NOC" <noc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 20:23:18 -0500
Ben,

I think you and I have been through this before, and you still fall back on
that "free beer" crutch. If people would read WHAT I WROTE, there is little
room for mis-understanding. But in the interest of fair argument, I will
repeat myself (again). I was able to recommend SuSE to customers by showing
them an install ON THEIR ACTUAL hardware, which, more often than not, is not
standard (aka the live eval DONT WORK). Now that SuSE is not going to offer
the eval, I cannot do as such without it coming out of MY OWN POCKET (I
re-iterate, these are not my systems, but potential customers). I really
wish people (you Ben) would understand that not all people use the eval
versions are just looking for FREE BEER. Do we all understand now?

I do not have the luxury of IBM's deep pockets. My bottom line comes real
close to my billfold. Or does everyone (you Ben) work for someone else? I
happen to be a freelance consultant, which means, I have to finance
EVERYTHING MYSELF. Why would I buy a piece of software that wont work for a
customer? That means I take it as a loss MYSELF (my family, my kid, you get
the picture?). Now, drop the "free beer" thing, its old. Unsaddle the
"High Moral Horse" that you seem to be riding and join the rest of us in the
trenches.

When was the last time you bought a car without driving it YOURSELF? Using
the live-eval (IN MY SITUATION) is like having someone test drive a car for
me by proxy. Dont make much sense, do it?

Chris Kulish