Re: [OT} Linux Commercial Idea
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dougmack@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 23:24:17 -0400
At 18:47 05/10/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Purple Shirt,
>> With all respect to your efforts. I don't like it much.
>>
>> It makes one think people use Linux because Microsoft is no good.
>
> We don't? To be honest, the only reason I use Linux is because Windows
>isn't as stable as I'd like.
>
>> In fact I
>> might have had this reason to switch to Linux more than 2 years ago but I
>> changed my mind. I use Linux today because I enjoy the GPL. The GPL is good
>> for the people. I think centering around how Microsoft again is bad doesn't
>> cut Linux any slack.
>

> Well, the GPL is fine, but if GPL'ed software doesn't make my life easier
>than the non-GPL'ed stuff, I wouldn't use it. To be honest, if Windows never
>crashed, was fast, and had as nice of GUI as KDE 2.x, etc., I would NEVER
use
>Linux.
> The simple fact is, I don't mind close sourced software. I'm not on some
>kind of philosophical battle against the evil copyright holders. I support
>patents, I support anti-piracy, infact I even support the legal action
>against services such as Napster. I don't think intellectually property is
>evil at all. Shocking? No.
/A whole lot snipped off/

You are against Napster. Have you ever tried to get some music from 20 or
more
years ago? Stuff that hasn't been converted to CD? Stuff that, at last
print, was on 45 RPM records? Or on 78's? I am really, really P.O.'d that
they have run Napster into the ground. I am not trying to cheat the rotten
recording industry, but there is simply no way to obtain some of the old
records that one occassionally hears on a radio station. Back to you, OM.