Re: [SLE] Dualhead console?
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 07:27:11 -0700
* Jon Clausen (jonclausen@xxxxxxxxxx) [010510 04:11]:
->Hello all
->
-> For some time now, I've been enjoying KDE 2.1 on a dualhead setup. I like it
->very much, to have documentation on one screen, and what I'm working on, on
->the other.
-> Now, increasingly, I find that when I'm doing stuff in the console, my eyes
->go looking for stuff on the second monitor...
->
-> What I'm thinking is to have tty1/tty3 on one monitor, and tty2/tty4 on the
->other...(or something)... Switching between tty1 and tty2 shifts the
->'keyboard focus' between the two screens. Switching to tty3 (or tty4) shifts
->the tty1/2-pair out, and tty3/4 in...
->
->So I wonder:
->
->Is this doable?
->
->Has anyone done it?

Yes, it will be "doable" under the next kernel version. A gentleman
named James Simmons who use to work with us in the Oakland office was
working on this for SuSE and he is still working on it. It's going a bit
slower because it's not as much of a main focus as it was in his
dayly..but it should be done in time for the 2.6/3.0 (whatever the # is)
kernel. I am suppose to talk to him this week. I will ask if there is a
public patch that he can make available for 2.4, but I won't/can't
promise anything.

--
Ben Rosenberg
mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx