Re: [SLE] {OT} Mixing audio from 2 SuSE systems into 1 speaker system
  • From: wilson@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jonathan Wilson)
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 15:59:39 -0500
1. You probably need different cables and adapters, but I'm not a pro so I can't say exactly what. Sheilded should help, and make sure that you're using stereo cables not mono. The less adapters the better.

2. try running a cable from line out of one card to line-in on card #2, then connect only card #2 to the speaker system

Hum is usually caused by bad grounding or crossing of something like neutral/hot or neutral/ground... maybe ask some knowledgeable Audio professional instead of computer geeks :-). Perhaps someone at our local Radio Shack.

At 03:14 PM 5/9/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello to all, sorry to be OT, but thought that these
>lists might have someone that knows how to:
>
>Combine the audio outputs of 2 different SuSE Linux
>7.1 PCs into an amplified speaker system?
>I have tried using a simple Y-adapter on the speaker
>(Yamaha) input but this causes a lot of HUM and
>seems to have burned out one sound card! Has anyone
>done this?

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com