RE: [SLE] Handling unknown users in Email Server II
  • From: wilson@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jonathan Wilson)
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 12:25:25 -0500
First a disclaimer: I have never used Email Server II nor any utility to set up email. I edit my email config files by hand. Make backups in case this blows up your system.

At 09:55 AM 5/9/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Wilson,
> It runs postfix.

Goody :-)

>There are two setup pages, one of which has about 100
>parameters that can be set for more advanced features. Possibly this is one
>of them?

Wheew! No idea..........

> If you happen to know what parameter would make this work, then I'll look
>for it inside the tool.
I use virtual hosts:

[root@csc003 /root]# cd /etc/postfix/
[root@csc003 postfix]# grep "virtual" main.cf
<snip>
virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
[root@csc003 postfix]# grep "^@" virtual
@centraltexasit.com jw.centexit.com
[root@csc003 postfix]# grep "jw.centex" virtual
@centraltexasit.com jw.centexit.com
jw@xxxxxxxxxxxx jw.centextit.com

Ok so if you have virtual_maps set, and assuming it's set to /etc/postfix/virtual, add a line to that file that looks like the one about that starts with "@".
If you're using hash: then don't forget to run postmap /etc/postifx/virtual to create a new virtual.db file.
Then put the appropriate entry in /etc/postfix/aliases (actually in SuSE it's /etc/aliases) something like follows:
[root@csc003 postfix]# grep "jw.centexit" aliases
jw.centexit.com: /var/spool/virtual/centexit.com/jw

Don't forget to make sure and use the correct path. Instead of a path you can also forward to another account:
jw.centexit.com: wilson@xxxxxxxxxxx

or to a local user:

jw.centexit.com: root

When you're done make the new hash file:
[root@csc003 postfix]# postalias /etc/postfix/aliases

And reload postfix:

[root@csc003 postfix]# /etc/init.d/postfix reload
postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
[root@csc003 postfix]#

And then test it. I hope that works.

Gone for lunch...........

Jonathan Wilson