Re: [SLE] Too old or f@$#%d up monitor?
  • From: Juergen Braukmann <juergen.braukmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 09:21:15 +0200
Hidic Anel wrote:

> I have a problem ... It's a DTK monitor ... manufactured in 1997 ...
> The problem is that I don't have blue color anymore ... I know a little
> about "c. tube" and
> "RGB" & "canons" and how all together works ...
> My question is is it possible to fix that if I play with "RGB resistors"
> or there is no way because
> it's too old? I don't want to buy new one if I dont have to :)
> Anyone had similar problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Anel

Hi Anel,

I do not know wether its a good idea to repair a broken monitor, since
you can loose more than a broken monitor.
If one color fails, first thing is to check the cabling *to* the
monitor, or rattling the cables to see what happens. Try another PC to
eliminate the card from the list of causes.

If you want to open the case, be aware of the high voltage. The tube
itself will work like a capacistor, what means it holds high voltage for
quite a while after the monitor is switched off and unplugged. It's not
very funny to learn this by doing, btw.

I'd check cables / connectors first, looking for dodgy soldering. This
might be applyable for the entire board. Dodgy soldering might be a
cause for color flickering, if a color stays off permanently, it's more
likely that the color amplifier stage is broken. With that, your on your
own, you need to "guess" where it is and there is no way to tell you
what *exact* to look for.

If you do not have any any clue about what I am writing, leave it.
Personally, I am neither very happy diving into monitors.

Juergen

--
Juergen Braukmann juergen.braukmann@xxxxxx| -o)/ / (_)__ __ ____ __