Re: mkbootdisk for SuSE?
  • From: "S.Toms" <smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 19:25:31 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 7 May 2001, Jim Osborn wrote:

jo> Yesterday I wrote:
jo> >Does anyone know of a SuSE-capable mkbootdisk? This RedHat utility
jo> >sounds like a really, really big help for those of us who for one
jo> >reason or another must make a boot disk.
jo>
jo> How embarassing... The RedHat utility is just a nice shell script,
jo> easy enough to hack as necessary for the SuSE environment. FWIW.
jo>

I use the following within my .alias file to do similar

function mkbootdisk {
fdformat -n /dev/fd0h1440
if [ -f /boot/vmlinuz ]; then
echo bootdisk: Kernel found, copying to bootdisk...
cp /boot/vmlinuz /dev/fd0
else
echo bootdisk: Enter location of kernel
read kpath
if [ "$kpath" ]; then
if [ -f $kpath ]; then
echo bootdisk: Kernel found, copying to bootdisk...
cp $kpath /dev/fd0/vmlinuz
else
echo bootdisk: Unable to locate $kpath...
fi
else
echo bootdisk: Unable to locate kernel...
fi
fi
}

I also tend to overkill things when I do them. :)

jo> Jim
jo>
jo>

--