Re: [SLE] Wish list for SuSE 7.2 (what I see in Mandrake 8.0)
  • From: Marcel Ritter <Marcel.Ritter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 11:03:37 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Cees van de Griend wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 11:28:59PM +0200, Lenz Grimmer wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 May 2001, Dennis wrote:
> >
> > > It may be too early, but I hope my wish list can come true. : )
> >
> > Too early? You must be kidding, right? It's not like we start working on
> > the next release just a week before it is supposed to hit the stores, you
> > know.
>
> If I may add my wish: a way to boot into a installation mode without floppy
> or CD, i.e. by boot from the network card.

You already can do this! Though it is hardly documented in the handbook...
The only thing you need is ALICE (Automated Linux Installation and
Configuration Environment). Development is not complete yet - but the
framework is quite promising (IMHO). We have installed quite a few
machines with it - everything up and configured including XFree (we had to
do some extra stuff - but we hope our additions will make it into the next
release - still fighting there :-)

> I have installed quite a few servers and this option would be very usefull
> to me.
>
> Regards,
> Cees.

Ciao,