Re: [SLE] Problem with adding users to Suse 7.1
Hi Basil:

On Sunday 06 May 2001 20:37, you wrote:
> Suse 7.1 is my third try at different LInux systems (Red Hat 7 and Mandrake
> 7.2 round out the trilogy).
>
> However, I have a problem in the installation process (or shortly
> thereafter), when I try to install additional users. It doesn't seem to
> matter whether I use the User Manager or try it out on the Console, but I
> get a crash whenever I try to add somebody ... anybody ... as an additional
> user.
>
> This has happened to me twice now: Once on a PII @ 233 mHz and once again
> on an AMD K6 @ 800 mHz. Without being able to add multiple users, then
> Suse is useless to me.
>
> In both cases I am using the KDE that comes with this version of Suse, and
> in both cases the crash is identical. This shouldn't be happening, but it
> is.

The user manager in KDE should not be used:

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/mjb_kuser_71.html

Use YAST1 to configure users. I have several users installed on my computer;
for friends who want to come over and use it for geneology searches and
correspondence. I can attest that it creating new users with YAST does work.
Also I would get the updates for YAST from the SuSE site.

--
Cheers,
Jonathan

"UNIX is a computer operating system, like Windows, but one which, unlike
Windows, is more celebrated than cursed."