RE: [SLE] [OT] Microsoft maldesign and drive letters
  • From: "Stuart Powell" <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 10:07:06 -0500
Hello, Paul.

Actually, Windows 2000 allows you to do this, to a degree. If you add a new
hard drive to a system, when you partition it out, you can select any drive
letter you like (NT also allows this), or you can tell the system to mount
it to a directory under a different drive. As far as I know, you can only
do this with hard drives, though, not removable media. However, you can
assign a different drive letter to a removable media drive.

Credit where it is due, MS have addressed this issue at long last. I went
off drive letters a long time ago when my local drives now run up as far as
I: on my W2K box. What with multiple hard drives, CDs, DVD, CD Burner,
smart media adapter etc, it starts to get a bit silly after a while.

And, if you're interested, MS has also done a half-brained attempt at
symbolic links at last, too. Unfortunately, it only happens on RIS volumes
(Remote Installation Service) and is something the system does automatically
to save space on said volume. User volumes still do not have this
capability.

Bye for now,
Stuart.