Re: [SLE] SuSE pricing and upgrades
  • From: Jeffrey Taylor <jeff.taylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 09:57:06 -0500
Quoting Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>:
> Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
[snip]
> > I think there was a upgrade version for 7.0. The retailers wouldn't
> > carry it, so you had to order direct and pay full list price, which
> > was just about street price for the full version. Guess what
> > happened.
>
> That's exactly my point about the need for cheap upgrades. The
> problem in this case is SuSE's full list price, which really ought to
> be set at a "tiny profit" level.

No, the problem is that retailers wouldn't carry it. Also, upgrade
packages cost as much to produce as "full" versions, if not more. All
the testing has to be down on the new packages, which is most of them,
plus testing for compatibility with version X-1, X-2, X-3,...

Reproduction costs are a small part of the cost of the product. Given
the recent layoffs, it is clear that SuSE doesn't have a big profit.

--
I don't do Windows and I don't come to work before nine.
-- Johnny Paycheck

< Previous Next >