Re: [SLE] Wish list for SuSE 7.2 (what I see in Mandrake 8.0)
  • From: Lenz Grimmer <grimmer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 23:28:59 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 3 May 2001, Dennis wrote:

> It may be too early, but I hope my wish list can come true. : )

Too early? You must be kidding, right? It's not like we start working on
the next release just a week before it is supposed to hit the stores, you
know.

:)

Of course this means, that there will _always_ be a later version of some
of the packages when the CDs hit the stores. Murphy was an optimist.

> a. Kernel 2.4.3 or later

Check.

> b. Auto config IDE burner (ML8 has done it, impressive)

Check.

> c. CUPS or better printing solution (ML8 got my HP710c to printer
> perfectly, this is the first time under Linux)

Check.

> d. Auto X configuration? (ML8 setup my 815 mobo graphic automatically)

Check.

(_How_ automatic? I still want to be able to choose the resolution/color
depth!)

> e. latest KDE

Check.

> f. latest Samba

Check.

> g. Galeon? nice to have it : )

Check.

> h. Any other nice 'things'....

Well, of course :)

> Sorry but ML8 is impressive at the first look, of course it also carry some
> problems:
>
> 1. no flash plug-in?

Huh? It should be included in the Netscape package.

> 2. the file system look very different??

In what respect?

> 3. mozilla crash!

I tested it yesterday (even as a Nautilus plugin) - works fine here.

> IMHO, it is worth taking a look but I am not going to use it for real work
> : ) SuSE is still my love.

Thank you :)

Be assured, that we too take a close look at what the competition is
doing...

LenZ
Lenz Grimmer SuSE GmbH
mailto:grimmer@xxxxxxx Schanzaeckerstr. 10
http://www.suse.de/~grimmer/ 90443 Nuernberg, Germany
One who is always in a stew generally goes to pot.