Re: [SLE] FW: [SLE] [OT] Legal Issues Type Question
  • From: "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 23:01:51 -0500
On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 05:13:40PM -0700, jennifer moter wrote:
> These people's business includes selling software licenses - check the home
> page.
> Just because you don't agree with someone's business doesn't mean you
> have the right to 'stir up trouble'.
>
> Find a dealer you like.

I don't think anyone was trying to stir up trouble. Many people object
to the "every computer must sell with an OS" policy. They object because
it stems from exclusive licensing deals which Microsoft made with PC
manufacturers. I agree with your recommendation, but you have to realize
that it does suck when all or most of your local vendors insist on
charging you $70 - $100 for an OS you don't wish to use.

> >From: Samy Elashmawy [mailto:samelash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> >
> >Take your money elswhere.
> >
> > At 12:44 PM 5/2/2001 +0100, Eddie Howson wrote:
> >>There is a company, Simply Computers (http://www.simply.co.uk) who will
> not
> >>sell a computer without an operating system. However, they do not offer
> any
> >>Linux distos. The only solution they offer is to buy MsDOS even if you
> are
> >>never going to use it. Is there anything that can be done or is there
> >>anyway
> >>that we can put pressure on the them to rethink their policy?
> >>
> >>Just wondered.
> >>
> >>Eddie

<snipped...>

-v
--
Victor R. Cardona
vcardona@xxxxxxxx

"Behold the keyboard of Kahless, the greatest Klingon
code warrior that ever lived!"