Re: [SLE] How important is it to not user gcc2.95.2 for kernel 2.4?
Thanks Mads
I will take your advice to look at gcc.gnu.org.

> egcs-1.1.2 is mentioned because the documentation is out of date.

This is really really bad that the doc was able to tell that we needed specified requirements
for the 2.4.2 update - and then point us to versions of those requirements that may be in error.
I wonder though, how egcs-1.1.2 would handle compiling present kernels.
not to contradict you , but other parts of the doc were correct - the modutil -
util-linux - ppp - , and most else that I see were correct .

Quote from doc /usr/src/linux/documentation/changes
on gcc compilers 2.95 - series

Similarly, if you choose to use gcc-2.95
or derivatives, be sure not to use -fstrict-aliasing (which, depending on
your version of gcc 2.95, may necessitate using -fno-strict-aliasing).

I have been seeing this all the time in compiles '' -fstrict-aliasing ''
the doc says not to have this option .
I wonder why I'm seeing it in compiles when I didn't do , make -fstrict-aliasing .?
''your version of gcc 2.95, may necessitate using -fno-strict-aliasing).''
I wonder then also do I need to add this option to compile kernels -fno-strict-aliasing.?

This option makes the compiled, result in more compact code (smaller size) ? I believe.
that's a good thing that I would like to be able to use.

but that doc looks pretty up to date to me now that I go back and check.
except for the egcs part , but I bet that egcs will work to compile new kernels.
maybe those kernel guys know some things that the rest of us don't know.
like for instance that egcs 1.1.2 (gcc 2.91.66) may work great to compile new kernels.
Damn I'm iching to give it a try . egcs always ran so smooth .
I'll probably give a try to the gcc 2.95.3 ftp.suse.com/pub/people/pthomas
first though.
bye for now
John