RE: [SLE] Need a hardware guru(compaq) OT
  • From: "David Bottrill" <david.bottrill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 23:36:33 +0100
Hi,

Pressing F10 causes the Compaq BIOS to boot a NON DOS partition positioned
in my experience as the first partition on the Hard Disc. If you delete the
partition, you lose the ability to re-configure your BIOS. The Compaq
partiton, last time I looked was a clobbered DOS / WIN3.1 concoction,
probably Win95 now or mayne Compaq have now done their own thing and blown
M$ out.

You should be able to download images of the install discs to reinstate this
partition, I would download these before you trash your disc although your
PC will still boot, you just won't be able to make any changes to the BIOS.
Have a look at the Compaq web site the support section is pretty well
organised and you should be able to locate the disc images to download. They
are usually refered to as SoftPaqs and given a reference number. The
Softpaqs are ususally self-extracting DOS apps so again do this in Windows
before trashing your disk. If you do trash your disk, install the diagnostic
partion first from the Softpaqs then I would install Windows first followed
by Linux, and let YAST2 sort out you partitioning assuming you have left
enough free space after installing Windows. Also YAST should configure LILO
giving you the dual-boot option you need, Yast is really quite clever.

David Bottrill