AtHome - PCMCIA - DHCP - SuSE7.1
  • From: "Dannie M. Stanley" <dannie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 14:28:35 -0500
I had significant problems using DHCP with with my cable modem provider
(@Home aka AtHome) , so here is my work-around in case there is anyone
else out there that can benefit from this info.

AtHome requires that the hostname is sent with the DHCP query. With
dhcpcd you send a -h switch along with the hostname. I modified the
/etc/pcmcia/network file line 88 to reflect this change. However after
testing I got the same results, from the error log:

timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response

I then made a similar change to the /etc/init.d/dhclient and it worked
fine from the command line. Mine looks like this:

startproc -t 5 -q /sbin/dhcpcd -R -d -h cy27465-a $DHCP_DEVS ||
return=$rc_failed

If you are using a PCMCIA network card, the dhclient script is not used,
it took me a while to figure out that one. Since dhclient wasn't being
executed at boot I create a new init script in my /etc/init.d/ directory
called athome, that contained one line:

/etc/rc.d/dhclient start eth0

Note that this must be called after the PCMCIA scripts start the network
(that's why I didn't use boot.local). I sym-linked this to my rc5.d
directory as S20athome.

I then commented out dhcpcd (line 88) from my /etc/pcmcia/network file
and put in an exit statement. If you don't do this dhcpcd will be
called twice, 1st by the network script 2nd by the dhclient script. The
dhclient script will work but only until the network script times out
with its dhcpcd request (i.e. it works for about the first 30 seconds
the machine is booted). My /etc/pcmcia/network file now looks like
this:

#/sbin/dhcpcd $HN $DEVICE >/dev/null 2>&1 || exit 1
exit 0

So to recap:

- Modify your /etc/init.d/dhclient script to contain the -h switch on
the dhcpcd commands.
- Create a athome script in init.d. Set it executable (chmod +x
athome)
- Sym link (man ln) athome into your running runlevel, probably rc5.d
- Modify your /etc/pcmcia/network file to disable the dhcpcd command.

Hope this helps, it only took me about 6 hours.

Have a good day,
Dannie

--
Dannie M Stanley