Re: problems compiling 0.3.09-0.3.17 or before and after ??
Thanks for the reply
I could disable ALSA, (which I guess I'll try) .

But when I try to compile ALSA 0.9.beta3 , It compiles fine, but on boot-up
(SuSE 70 -2.4.2-suse) kernel , I get no soundcards found - boot message on terminal screen.

I then have to modprobe all the alsa modules I need starting with ,
modprobe sound, and modprobe ymfpci
modprobe snd-card-ymfpci gives - unresolved symbols error
and I'm left with, no mixer & no soundcards found status.

I figure that the 'kernel 2.4.2-suse sources, update', is giving me problems
with the sound modules that get compiled in when I choose, sound , and ymfpci options.
Funny that the 2.4.2-4GB standard suse kernel comes with all the soundcard modules compiled in
as modules , and works with ALSA 5.10 .
But I'm afraid that if I try to compile my alsa 0.9.beta3 sources with 2.4.2-4GB
I'll loose alsa snd-card-ymfpci - as I did when trying that with 2.4.2-suse .
actually the sources are supposed to be the same just 2.4.2-4GB is with 4GB mem
option selected. This is what is really confusing me.

So What do you think I should do , I'm at my wits end with this kernel upgrade -
I can't remember ever having such trouble updating kernels , I've been using
suse-linux since version 50 - was 1996 .

Maybe some of you may know things that I should probably do, that could help me resolve this situation.
I'd rather be contributing more to muse, and music as you would also, than fishing for 'kernel trouble solutions' .
Any Help Greatly appreciated
John W Mislan

--

God does not play dice" -- Einstein
"Not only does God play dice, he sometimes throws
them where they can't be seen." -- Stephen Hawking

  • No further messages