How does YaST/YaST2 resolve package dependencies?
  • From: Barnet Wagman <wagman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 11:15:59 -0500
I wonder if anyone could explain how YaST (and/or YaST2) resolves
package dependencies. (I've been having problems with bad dependencies
and am thinking about how to resolve these problems).

As far as I can tell, 'rpm -q -requires' yields a list of required
files, not packages. To satisfy dependencies, you need to find the
packages that contain these required files. The SuSE CDs have lists of
packages, but no database that lets you find the the package that
contains a particular file. Or if it does, I couldn't find it. Does
YaST actually run 'rpm -q -provides' on every package to find
dependencies? This seems unlikely - otherwise you'd have to be
constantly switching CDs whenever YaST does a dependency check, which is
not the case.

Any information on this subject would be appreciated. (Or if you know
of any documentation on this subject, please let me know).

Thanks,

Barnet Wagman