RealTek Network Card and SuSE 7.1
  • From: John Griffin <jpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 13:51:53 -0700
Hey Gang,

Bringing up a new install of 7.1 on an HP Kayak XU800 with a RealTek RTL8139
NIC card.

I installed from an ftp server after selecting the RealTek RTL8129/8139 NIC
kernel module during the yast1 ftp install. After the successful install
SuSE rebooted and everything except the NIC came up. Which is strange since
I just got done installing over that same NIC.

The errors at boot time are:
----------------------------
Initializing random number generator done
Setting up network device eth0
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth0
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth0
eth0: unknown interface: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth0
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth0
eth0: unknown interface: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth0
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth0
eth0: unknown interface: No such device failed

This same system works just fine on the 7.0 install. I went ahead and copied
over the /[etc|sbin]/init.d/network and /etc/modules.conf from a duplicate
Kayak XU800 successfully running 7.0 SuSE to no avail.

Anybody got ideas what's wrong.

-jpg

< Previous Next >