Frustrated with Linux
  • From: Jerry Van Brimmer <jerryvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 18:43:49 -0700
Well, I have finally gotten to the place where I am frustrated with
Linux. Why? Because, a couple of weeks ago I purchased a CDRW drive. The
MAIN reason I purchased it was to store all of the Linux stuff I
download off of the internet. Well, after getting it installed and
functioning, I set about to learn how to use it (burn CDs). I learned
how to use mkisofs and cdrecord, and Xcdroast. (I also have Win Me
installed on my machine.) Adaptec Easy CD Creator and Direct CD came
with my drive, and with Direct Cd I can format a CD in UDF format and
write/read/erase files to a CDRW disc with no problems. I thought, cool,
this is what I want to do in Linux. When I set about to learn how to do
this in Linux, I was very disappointed to learn that UDF is at best a
kernel patch to get it functioning. Yes, I know read support is in the
kernel options, if I want to recompile the kernel, but not write
support. I want to use my CDRW like a big floppy, but I can't in Linux.
I want to USE Linux, not spend all of my time hacking it or recompiling
the kernel. I am an end user, not a hacker. I have real work to get done
and I'd LIKE to use Linux to get that work done. Sorry, but I have to
use what works without having to spend a lot of time getting it working.
I have been using Linux now for about one year, and have come to love
it. However, this is a very frustrating roadblock for me. Unless someone
can show me how to use my CDRW store/read/write/erase individual files
onto my CDRW disks easily (Like DirectCD does in Windows Me)I may have
to abandom Linux for the time being. I don't know anything about UDF, or
how long the tecnology has been released, but I would think the Linux
community would have better support for it than it does buy this time.

Please help me stay with the Penguin,

jvb

< Previous Next >