Zip and CDROM Install Questions
  • From: "David C. Johanson" <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:42:46 -0400
I've been going through the SuSe Linux in 24 Hours tome by Bill Balland
have a couple of questions. I've just installed SuSE 7.1 with both the
2.2 and 2.4 kernels.

Below is a copy of my fstab file with mods I've made #ed out. I've
numbered the lines for ease of discussion.

-----

1 /dev/sdb3 / ext2 defaults 1 1
2 /dev/sdb1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
3 /dev/cdrom /cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
4 # /dev/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
5 devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
6 /dev/fd0 /floppy auto noauto,user 0 0
7 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
8 /dev/sda1 /windows/C vfat noauto,user 0 0
9 /dev/sdb2 swap swap defaults 0 2
10 # /dev/sdb4 /mnt/zip vfat user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 0 0
--------
In attempting to install my zip 250 IDE, I followed the instructions on
pages 83 to make the directory and 84 load the kernel module support.
The first two insmod (parport and parport_pc) instructions went O.K. but
the third (ppa) returned a no such device error. The first two lines
returned the info "using /lib/modules/2.4.0-4GB". I don't know if the
failure of the third
instruction has anything to do with it, I assuming it must, but nothing
I try will mount the zip drive. My system has 2 SCSI hard drives, the
IDE Zip 250, 2 SCSI CD-ROMS, and a SCM SwapBox (PCMCIA card cage) for
data transfer. I tried sdd4, sda4, sdb4 (didn't try c) but nothing
would mount the zip drive. Can someone assist me in getting it mounted?
The line ( # 10 ) in fstab was copied from my Mandrake 7 install.

Likewise, line #4 was copied from line #3 and modified from cdrom to
cdrom2 (idea once again taken from my Mandrake 7 install). I first did a
mkdir /mnt/cdrom2 prior to modifying the fstab file. Trying to do a
mount "/dev/cdrom2 -t iso9660 /mnt/cdrom2" returns the error
"special device /dev/cdrom2 does not exist. Path is root/mnt/cdrom2 and
zip. Again, can anyone provide direction on how to correct my errors.

Finally, what is being identified in line 5?

Thanks,

dave johanson

< Previous Next >