Re: [SLE] /etc/ppp/ip-up
  • From: chris.reeves@xxxxxxxxx (Chris Reeves)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:40:15 +0100

Damian Slavek wrote:

> > I went and uncommented the last two lines shown here that are in
> > /etc/ppp/ip-up
> >
> > #maybe you want to start some mail services:
> > #set follow variables in /etc/rc.config
> > # SENDMAIL_TYPE="yes"
> > # SENDMAIL_SMARTHOST="smtp:mailserver.myisp.net"
> > # SENDMAIL_ARGS="-bd -om"
> > # SENDMAIL_EXPENSIVE="yes"
> > # SENDMAIL_NOCANONIFY="yes"
> > /usr/bin/fetchmail -a -v >>/var/log/fetchmail 2>&1 &
> > /usr/sbin/sendmail -q &
> >
> > The uncommented lines are exactly as shown in ip-up.
> > I still have to run the commands fetchmail and sendmail by hand to get
> > anything to go in or out, but they are both already running as daemons.
>
> Actually, my fetchmail seems to be working fine, I just had to change the
> poll time. I still can't get sendmail to send my mail right away. What I
> would like it to do is:
> 1. When I am offline simply spool the mail till the next time I
> connect, if I am offline it is usually for a reason and I don't want a
> connection initiated.
> 2. When I an online send my mail as soon as I hit <control>X (I am
> using pine).
>
> Is there a way I could do this? I know I can do it some how with the
> settings in /etc/rc.config, but what would be a good way of doing this?

I'm afraid I can't find the rest of this thread, and it's a bit old, but...
have you tried putting 'sendmail -q' in your /etc/ppp/ip-up script? That will
flush the mail queue.

Hope you get it fixed,
Chris

--
Apologies to everyone who has been waiting for replies off me over the past few
weeks - I've been away from my computer. I'll try to catch up with my email