Re: [SLE] telnet port 25
  • From: eilert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eilert Brinkmann)
  • Date: 10 Apr 2000 19:42:31 +0200

Silvia Nieto Santos <snieto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd like to know if when you do telnet to port 25 ( SMTP ) are ther
> any command tha attach a file ?

No. You have only the SMTP commands provided by the server. They allow
you to specify sender and receipient (the addresses used for delivery,
not the "To:" and "From:" headers visible within the mail) and to
enter the raw mail. But there is no functionality like in a mail user
agent (MUA) -- telnet doesn't even know that you are sending a mail,
it simply sends your input to the server and prints the responses.

> I want to mean that if with the telnet can you send a mail with a
> file attached?

After the DATA command you have to type in the complete mail including
RFC822 headers, MIME encoding if appropriate, ... You probably don't
want to encode your attachment by hand, so you have to use a normal
mail program or any other program that acts as an MUA an encodes your
mail including the attachment.

Eilert