Re: [SLE] /etc/ppp/ip-up
  • From: damianks@xxxxxxxxxx (Damian Slavek)
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 00:30:51 -0500

Sorry for the length of this message, I left all previous quotes in
because this thread hasn't been used for quite some time. See below:

Mike Kenzie wrote:

> [...]

I went and uncommented the last two lines shown here that are in
/etc/ppp/ip-up

#maybe you want to start some mail services:
#set follow variables in /etc/rc.config
# SENDMAIL_TYPE="yes"
# SENDMAIL_SMARTHOST="smtp:mailserver.myisp.net"
# SENDMAIL_ARGS="-bd -om"
# SENDMAIL_EXPENSIVE="yes"
# SENDMAIL_NOCANONIFY="yes"
/usr/bin/fetchmail -a -v >>/var/log/fetchmail 2>&1 &
/usr/sbin/sendmail -q &

The uncommented lines are exactly as shown in ip-up.
I still have to run the commands fetchmail and sendmail by hand to get
anything to go in or out, but they are both already running as daemons.
That's why those two test messages from me came in close together they
were actually written and hour or two apart, I just didn't figure out
that I had to run those commands until just a little while ago.
Sendmail is spooling my mail fine, I just want it to send everything and
get new messages everytime I connect to my ISP. I don't remember if I
stated this in an earlier post but I use the wvdial.dod script and it
works perfectly. Is there something else I have to do to get this to
work right?
Thank you for all the previous help.