Re: [SLE] IP Masq / DHCP / Firewalling (Reply: LONG!)
  • From: samelash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Samy Elashmawy)
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 08:34:34 +0000

Sniped a lot of stuff .

>It's more up to date than the one on the CD set, it has more options, and
in my opinion, runs better. It >also allows for running a dhcp server on
the same machine you're running a firewall on. Version 1.4 didn't >allow
for that.

Will download it and install it via yast. Thanks for the addes info.

>>I also note your tackling all this from outside of yast ? why ? yast to
>>simplistic ?
>Yast doesn't allow for configuration of everything to do something this
large. Yast can't manage >SuSEfirewall, and I don't think it manages the
DHCP server configuration. I administer my systems with a> >combination of
YaST, and editing config files directly.

How do you keep it all in sync between the two ie hand edit files and yast
admin ?

Ah ha . Makes sence now. With my linited time , I have allways tried to use
yast whenever I can ! I try to aviod hand coded stuff , as yast like to
over right sometimes , and that means I need to keep copies, Resolv.conf
allways disapears on me , and xf86config gives realy priecise settings.
give it the right numbers(do you homework first) and it works like a charm.

>Oh, one last thing, if you edit the /etc/rc.config file directly, don't
forget to run "SuSEconfig" afterwards. YaST runs that after you change
settings. :-)

Will do.