Re: [SLE] automount + yp == trouble
  • From: jont@xxxxxxxxx (Jon Trygve Utne)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:04:22 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Lynette Bellini wrote:

> > # > ypcat -k auto.master
> > /home auto.home -nosuid,noquota
>
> Mine looks like:
>
> # ypcat -k auto.master
> +auto_master
[snip]

Isn't this a circular definition?
This doesn't look good to me. Does this setup work at all??
We're now talking about the server side setup.

On the NIS server you usually have the source files (i.e. the actual
master map files) in /var/yp/ypfiles or /var/yp/src or whatever.
This is usually done so that you can use NIS to keep ordinary users
away from your servers.
The directory typically contains something like

auto.home
auto.master
auto.net
group
hosts
netgroup
networks
passwd
protocols
rpc
services

This is (more or less) the contents of this directory on my server; YMMV.
For example, if you are going to add a new user, you have to add an entry
to /var/yp/<whatever>/passwd and run make so that the updated passwd map
gets pushed to the clients. The command `ypcat passwd` on a client will
then return the contents of /var/yp/<whatever>/passwd on the server.

Likewise, the command `ypcat -k auto.master` on a client will return the
contents of /var/yp/<whatever>/auto.master, and so on.

The auto.master file will define the top mount points, so in my case
the file looks like this:

/net auto.net -nosuid,noquota
/home auto.home -nosuid,noquota

This works if the NIS server runs Linux or HP-UX.
Because you have a Solaris server, you may need to have

/net auto_net -nosuid,noquota
/home auto_home -nosuid,noquota

instead. You'll just have to experiment with '.' vs '_'.
The files defines the top mount points and then tells which map
specify the contents below the top points.
So if auto.master on your server contains "+auto_master", then I don't
see how this can work whatsoever. (But then again, I don't know
everything about NIS. I have just made a setup that works well for me.
;-) )

> Mine looks like:
>
> # ypcat -k auto.home
> +auto_home
> projects www:/export/projects
> listserv moby:/export/newhome/listserv

Like I said for auto.master, get rid of the "+auto_home" line in
/var/yp/<whatever>/auto.home .
And some mount options for you directories is probably a Good Thing (tm),
e.g. "-rw,intr,nosuid,noquota" or whatever you want.

Does this help?

---J.T.U.

| Jon Trygve Utne |e-mail: jont@xxxxxxxxx |
| Department of Informatics | Jon.Utne@xxxxxxxxx |
| University of Bergen, Norway | Jon.Utne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
| Tlf(work) +47 55 58 82 95 |"Smith & Wesson: The original|