Re: [SLE] Permissions on the /tmp directory?
  • From: ericb@xxxxxx (Eric Brandwine)
  • Date: 03 Apr 2000 09:33:11 -0400

>>>>> "st" == Stefan Troeger <stefan.troeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

This is probably a bad idea. /tmp is hardcoded into many executables,
and if /scsi1 fails to mount, you'd have no /tmp. That would cause
many things to fail. You have now made your system dependent on a
SCSI disk other than the boot volume.

If you did want to do this, really badly, I'd make a seperate
partition on the Cheetah, and mount that at /tmp. But /tmp itself
should _always_ be a directory, not a symlink. That way, if the disk
fails to mount, you'd still have a directory for storage of temporary
items.

ericb

st> Hi,
st> On Mon, Apr 03 2000 at 09:38 +0100, Kevin Jackson wrote:

>> I did this with near fatal results, except I moved the /var/ directory.

st> There shouldn't be any problems with this (other than making sure
st> that no program is running that wants access to /var while you're
st> moving stuff around).

>> I'm still sorting out the permissions...
>>
>> t stands for (according to man chmod):
>>
>> Save Program Text On Swap Device

st> That's only the case for executables. Once you run one that has
st> the sticky bit set, the program text is saved on the swap
st> partition to speed up program startup the next time the program
st> is run. This has btw. no effect on Linux (i.e. it's ignored).

st> If the sticky bit is set on a directory only the owner of a file
st> in that directory can delete it. Consider a world writable
st> directory like /tmp. Without the sticky bit everyone could delete
st> your temporary files, which is probably not desirable.

st> Ciao,
st> Stefan

st> --
st> To unsubscribe send e-mail to suse-linux-e-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxx